The last post on character certainly resonated with a lot of you. I’m glad for that, as it was really written from the heart, and meant to shine a light on some areas that we need to do a whole lot better as a profession. Thank you for doing such a good job sharing it and participating in the discussion. But now let’s go to the next level…
Yes you want company executives who are honest and a sponsor who has your back. No debate there. But in the end, it all comes back to you. Think to the lessons in my Making the First Circle Work book. You are the leader of your team (whether you want to be on not), and have a huge effect on the culture and results that happen from you down the structure.
Are you looking out for the best interests of your team? Now before you automatically tell yourself ‘yes,’ let’s see what that looks like. That means:
- Telling them the truth;
- Not telling them anything that isn’t in the best interest of their own business;
- Working in depth; helping to drive depth;
- Traveling and working with the long distance groups, to help them develop independence.
Here is where I see people fail down in these areas:
- Exaggerating or outright lying with income claims;
- Encouraging people to drive lines and purchase products to make a rank advancement, without having the actual volume and leadership in place to support that advancement;
- Trying to manage growth from the top without going down and modeling the behavior yourself;
- Crying poor and not investing in travel to support the development of your long distance lines.
You don’t create your future. You create your daily habits and they create your future.
I don’t write this to “catch” you or berate you, but to help you identify, where can you get better. So how are YOU doing on all this?